Perhaps your teacher has already given you a topic or theme to work with.
If it’s your choice, don’t choose a topic that you’re passionate about, or know a lot about, although it can be useful and good sometimes. Choose a unique topic that you’ve never studied before.
This way, you’re learning and collecting new information that will intrigue the reader as well.
Note: don’t leave your essay to the last minute, it takes time to write the perfect essay!
How to research your topic
- First make sure you thoroughly understand what your teacher wants you to write about. Do they want you to compare things in your research? Explain something? Do they want you to persuade the reader, or write an argument for or against a topic?
- Is the topic new to you? If so, then you’ll need to go deep into research until you understand it properly.
- Jot down some ideas, and notes with your research. Then, when it’s time to start writing your essay, you will be well prepared and it will be easy to assemble.
- Make sure you have plenty of evidence. Thoroughly research evidence to back up your opinion.
- Make sure that the source is trustworthy. Make sure you gather the right information from the right people. Your source must be reliable and truthful.
- Explain your research in a different way to the source. Otherwise you’ll just be copying out of books and the Internet.
How to Brainstorm
After you’ve understood your topic and grasped the basics of it, you can start brainstorming.
Stop to think about your topic that you would be writing about, and jot down every idea that enters your mind.
Brainstorming is an easy and effective way to understand your essay, and think more in depth about your topic.
Sit in a quiet place, where there are no distractions.
Or you can sit somewhere where you can get lots of inspiration.
Draw a circle in the middle of a blank piece of paper. Write your main topic in that circle.
Then start to draw smaller circles around the page with related ideas, solutions and answers to the question or problem. Join them all to the main circle in the center of your page with lines, and you’re done!
The great thing about brainstorming is you can spill the ideas freely and there is no limit!
Brainstorm with a partner
This way, you can take a look at other people’s opinions and ideas and help each other out. Besides, brainstorming with a friend is much more fun!
Although it’s very important, don’t hesitate to take small breaks between your researching and brainstorming. This will let other ideas sink in, and relieve you a little, as the last thing you want is to get stressed!
Thank you so much for reading, and I’ll see you in the next post which will be out soon where we will start to write our essay!
Head to penable.net for more writing related content, videos, courses, author interviews and more.
Remember that writing doesn’t have to boring, take breaks, get inspired and have fun!
Happy writing and stay safe,