This is a short, but hopefully helpful post.
If you’re writing a villain that’s cruel and hard, then you will have achieved your goal if readers detest your villain. This only works if you craft your villain correctly. You can’t just magic an awesome villain out of nowhere – you need to plan it out correctly.
What do your villains like or dislike? What do they want? What are their goals?
What are their motivations?
Every villain must have a motivation. Which is why I have listed some villain motivation ideas below!
- They do evil things because they are scared
- Because they want power, and money
- Wants to avenge the death of a loved one
- Because they’re bored (like Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes)
- They want to gain acceptance
- They longed for kindness and the dark side gives them that
- They believe they’re a hero
- They long for revenge
Can you think of any other villain motivations? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope this post is helpful!